Ingredients for Gajar Halwa
1. 4 cups Shredded Fresh Carrots
2. 3 cups Whole Milk
3. 1 cup Sugar
4. 8 tbsp Ghee
5. 10-12 Cashew Nuts
6. 1/8 tsp. Cardamom pods Elachi
Procedure of Gajar Halwa
- First wash, strip, shred the carrots. Use the medium blade in the mandolin to shred the carrots.
- Then take a wide mouthed & heavy-bottomed vessel in Medium-High flame. Using a wide mouthed vessel gives a carrots get cooked fast and uniform. So that we can save gas and energy also.
- Add a Ghee in a vessel and then add the Shredded Carrots and mix well.
- Fry it until the Carrots turns pale and raw smell leaves. Now the Carrots gives a sweet smell. This process takes 10-15 minutes approximately. Add the milk.
- Add at least 3 cups of milk so that it merge the Carrots & cooked well in the milk. It takes 5 minutes.
- The carrots get cooked well in the milk, so the Carrots should drink in all the milk. Stir the content continuously from preventing the scorching. It takes 20-30 minutes.
- Once the Carrots shrinking all the milk, add in the sugar. Reduce the flame to medium. Mix the content, Stir at regular intervals. We need to wait until the mixture turns thick. It takes around 10-15 minutes.
- Place a small kadhai in medium flame. Roast the Cashews with 1 Teaspoon Ghee until it turns golden. Then remove the Cashews from kadhai.
- Slice the Cashews. Remove seeds from one Cardamom pod and powder it.
After Carrot mixture becomes thick, add the remaining Ghee in it.
- Add the roasted Cashews and powdered Cardamom and mix them well.
Cook the Halwa stirring continuously until the added Ghee separates out. It takes more 10 minutes.
Your Gajar Halwa is ready. If you are making Halwa for special guests you can add Pistachios, chopped Almonds in it.