As the mercury rises mercilessly, cooking elaborate meals takes a backseat. Hot, elaborate meals are replaced by light, quick fix salads or cold soups. You can turn almost any vegetable into an appetizing salad as long as it is fresh. Also,if you can get hold of organic vegetables, that is an added bonus. Nasik now has a few options if you are keen on buying organic vegetables and fruits. You can find organic vegetables and fruits, at theOrganic farmer’s market held every Sunday morning on Kute Marg. A few health stores also stock some organic vegetables and fruits.
The onset of the so called ‘spring’ has also brought super foods like Asparagus to the local markets.A nutritional powerhouse, you can roast, grill, blanch or stir fry this gorgeous spear headed vegetable.
A change from the usual Koshimbir or Raita, this Asparagus salad is a great option for a light summer meal.I have blanched the Asparagus for a minute and dressed it up with a Honey Mustard Vinaigrette. The Sweet Lime (Mosambi) provides a refreshing citrusy burst and the Goji berries together with the Chia seeds make this aSuper Salad,apt for a super warm summer day!
If you can get hold of fresh, young, tender Aspargus, organic would be great, make this salad right away. If you can’t find Asparagus substitute it with fresh Green beans.
Here’s the recipe for my Asparagus Super Salad
1. 7-8 fresh, tender Asparagus spears.
2. ~4 Sweet lime (Mosambi) segments,peeled, pith& seeds removed.
3. Few Goji Berries or use Raisins.
4. Chia seeds or use Basil/Sabja seeds.
5. Honey Mustard Dressing to taste.
For the Honey Mustard dressing
1. 3 tbsp Honey.
2. 1 Smooth Dijon Mustard.
3. 1 tbsp Rice wine Vinegar.
- Whisk together all the dressing elements till they blend well.
- Keep aside till you prepare the Asparagus.
- Wash the Asparagus. Snap the woody ends away.
- Blanch the tender spears for 1 minute in hot salted boiling water.
- Transfer to cold water immediately , to retain the colour.
- Drain completely.
- Arrange the blanched Asparagus on a shallow Serving dish.
- Layer with the Sweet lime and Gojji berries.
- Sprinkle the Chia seeds and drizzle with the Honey Mustard dressing.
- Serve immediately.